Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Chain of Fools

After opening another Myspace bulletin claiming that some kid somewhere had some disease and AOL would take two bucks off the poor kid's hospital bill if I reposted it, I began to wonder where the hell these things come from in the first place. I know how they get passed around- the psychologically weak can't resist something that says, "Post now- or you deny Jesus and go to hell!" or worse, "If you don't forward this to 20 friends, you'll never find love and your skin will break out in warts!" But seriously, what sorry son of a bitch is actually starting these things? Who writes out these bogus stories and decides to pass them around and waste the time of billions of people? And where's my harpoon, that I might take them down?

And for those of you who get a fair amount of this bullshit from their friends, I recommend these two sites for correcting them. Snopes is a fantastic resource for urban legend debunkery (and quite a fun read) and Break the Chain is dedicated purely to stopping junk e-mail. There sites will assure you and your ever-forwarding friends that little Timmy is not stuck in the well and Bill Gates doesn't give a damn what e-mails you pass on.



(If you send my blog to ten friends, your true love will call you in ten minutes! If you don't, they'll marry that person you really hated in school and have lots of babies and you'll die alone. Better not risk it.)



CHAIN OF FOOLS

Add to My Profile | More Videos

No comments: